How to make your choice

The content on this page can be viewed in the following languages

If you’re happy with the roll you’re on, you don’t need to do anything. If you want to change the roll you’re on, you can make the change online, by email, or by mail.

You can sign and return your Māori Electoral Option letter

If you received a letter from us about the Māori Electoral Option, you can change rolls by signing, dating and returning it.

Example of the letter sent to people on the Māori rollExample of the letter sent to people on the General roll

You can return your letter by taking a scan or photo of it, and:


You can also post your letter back to us using the envelope provided.

You can change rolls online

You can change rolls online with your New Zealand driver licence, New Zealand passport, or RealMe verified identity.


If you’re on the unpublished roll, or you don’t have one of the forms of ID listed above, you won’t be able to use the online service. You’ll need to fill in an enrolment form.

Other ways to change

You can change rolls by completing and returning an enrolment form.

  • You can fill in an enrolment form online, and have it emailed or posted to you to sign and return.
  • You can call us on 0800 36 76 56 to have an enrolment form sent to you.


Areas impacted by flooding

If you’ve had to move after recent weather events including Cyclone Gabrielle, you might not get an information pack in the mail.

You can update your home or postal address, or change the roll you’re on if you would like to, online or by filling in an enrolment form.

We have resources you can share in your community so others see this information.

Resources to share with your community

Find out which roll you’re on

If you’re not sure which roll you’re on, you can check or update your details online.


Contact us

For more information about the Māori Electoral Option or about enrolling to vote, contact us: